Friday 30 April 2021

11 JKUAT 2021 Alumni Geomatic Engineering 'girls'

Yes, let girls do geospatial.

The Jomo Kenyatta University of Technology held their 36th graduation on 9th April 2021. Among the graduands are 34 Department of Geomatic Engineering & Geospatial Information Systems fresh graduates, 11 being women, 32% of the class. Geomatic Engineering is 5 years course but due to Covid-19 pandemic, there was disruption and it took them about 6 years. Below are the 11 women who graduated with Geomatic engineering giving their love stories for geospatial technology. Congratulations 'girls'.

1. Chepngetich Brenda

I learnt about geospatial engineering just before I joined JKUAT campus from a family member who had done the same course. I came to enjoy the course especially since I used to enjoy Geography in high school, so mapping became a thing I enjoyed doing. What I love most in my career is the power of GIS and Remote Sensing. The power of being able to come up with so much information just from a satellite image amazes me. You can be able to tell where anything is located without having to be physically there, in short 'remotely'. GIS and Cartography on the other hand helps in communicating to people about spatial data, Yes! the visualization. This solves the problem of  assigning addresses easily to places around the country.

High School : Moi Girls High School - Eldoret

Twitter | FacebookInstagram | Linkein



2. Pauline Munyoki

My love for earth observation and mapping led me to pursue a degree in Geomatic Engineering and Geospatial Information Systems. The GIS skills I have acquired will enable me to pursue my passion in scientific research. I am very hard-working, always eager and interested to learn new skills. I believe to that scientific research will help in making the world a better place. I am also interested  in data science and how it can be integrated into spatial data analysis.

High school: South Tetu Girls High School

Twitter | FacebookLinkedIn |









3. Janet Wamaitha

My interest in GIS began with my love for Mathematics and Geography back in high school hence the course Geomatics. However, this quickly turned into a passion as I studied at the university and I began to realize the untapped potential that lies in using GIS and Remote sensing. I was specifically driven to the use of GIS in energy, energy is such an important resource in our day to day life from  basic households to commercial and industrial buildings. This makes it a valuable resource and there is a strong need to come up with more energy efficient and optimization techniques. GIS has equipped me with the necessary skills and tools to offer sustainable solutions in regards to energy usage and through that I am able to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals.

High School:  Loreto High School Limuru 

4. Dolyvine Nyaboke

My love and passion in Geomatic engineering started with my interest in Geography. Moreover, Geomatic Engineering contains many intriguing disciplines such as Land survey, Photogrammetry, Remote sensing, Geodesy, GIS and Programming. It is amazing how all these disciplines can be used to solve real world problems. For instance, as a result of my knowledge in remote sensing and GIS, I was drawn to do a project on Desert Locust Infestation Monitoring and Mapping of the Potential Breeding and Egg Development Grounds in Turkana County. This can help in the effective management and control of these dangerous migratory pests as they a threat to our food security. Furthermore, Land survey gives me the opportunity to explore different parts of the world through travelling, hiking and adventure while collecting data on the field. I hope this inspires many young women to join this field of study.

High school: Makueni Girls Secondary School

Instagram | Twitter |


5. Yvonne Kemunto

I got started in this world of Geomatic Engineering and GIS in 2015 at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology for my BSc.  I developed a strong aesthetic for nature, topography, and environmental studies. My first attachment at Survey of Kenya was where I was first introduced to survey and GIS outside school. Five years down the line, I am always amazed at how GIS tools can allow us to change how we display our data to see another aspect of our world.  My keen interest is GIS in agriculture led me  to  base my undergraduate research on GIS for food security , specifically estimation of crop yield. I  do not think people get the true picture of how valuable GIS really is.  I hope I can pass this energy and enthusiasm to many more people.

LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram 



6. Florence Wangui

Due to having a passion for mathematics and technology from a young age, geomatics engineering was the perfect course for me to enroll in at the university. The skills garnered in this course enabled me to combine my passions to solve real life problems. The great thing about GIS is how vast its resourcefulness is and the fact that it can be adapted in every field. I love spending my spare time learning about the new innovations in the world of GIS. My hope is these innovations are incorporated in different sectors of society to help solve day to day problems.

High School: Bishop Gatimu Ngandu Girls

LinkeIn 

7. Faith Mugure

My journey in Geomatic engineering began back in 2015 at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT). Though I knew very little about it before, I have come to love and appreciate how it creates solutions for sustainable development in every field. Over the years, I have watched how enthusiastic the geospatial community is on providing the most accurate and best quality data in solving today's problems. This has motivated me to work towards providing and analyzing locational data knowing the effort made by this large community. I am amazed at how environmental solutions are continually developed with the ever changing climatic conditions towards conserving our resources. I have never had any second thoughts about taking this journey and I am very hopeful that there is a great future for geospatial field.

High School: Bahati Girls Secondary School



8. Linet Gakii

I came to discover about Geospatial Engineering after high school from a friend who was taking the course. My love for Mathematics and Geography led me to pursue the course. I am passionate about earth observation, mapping, coding and everything in between. I am passionate about the use of GIS in the Agricultural sector to help with sustainable food production, supply and to curb food shortage. Each day I am amazed by the vast application of GIS and I'm passionate about exploring them. I would also love to inspire more young ladies to join the GIS and Survey  industry.

High school: St. Mary's Girls - Igoji






9. Patricia Khayasi

My journey towards engineering began at Friends School Tigoi Girls High. I was so determined to be an engineer since I never liked the way women used to be treated in my village. Being in love with Mathematics, Geography and Physics, I was able to pursue an engineering course, Geomatic Engineering at Jomo Kenyatta University. While undertaking this course, I really loved surveying which entailed going for field works to collect data on various phenomena. I learnt the various techniques used in Land survey and how easy it was to employ them during surveys. Another discipline in Geomatic Engineering that I developed so much passion in was Remote sensing. I was fascinated on how spatial information can be obtained from satellite imageries which was so interesting. With this, it’s easier to work on various studies that are directed to solving real time problems in our society and the nation at large. Cartography which involved drawing maps free-handed was so interesting even though it was hectic and time-consuming. I am open-minded into learning more and more in this field since it is an interesting one with new technology evolving each day.

High School: Friends School Tigoi Girls 



10. Rose Mutegi

My journey towards geospatial world begun back in 2015 after joining JKUAT, juja GeGIS department. This was after a friend suggested me the course and encouraged me to pursue it. I had  little knowledge about the course but the name ‘Geomatic engineer’ had it all. As time went by, deeper understanding of what Geomatic engineering entitled increased as I interacted with various professionals both at school and various firms both in surveying and GIS programming and analyses during my student attachments. Hence appreciation of geospatial as a powerful tool for solving community problems and passionate about exploring more. I would like to urge all young girls to join the course to boost their future.

High school: St Mary’s Girls-Igoji






11. Uniter Chepchumba

I find our planet beautiful and fascinating. Geomatic Engineering was my door to explore the earth with all its intrigues. During my studies at JKUAT I discovered that there is more to Geomatic Engineering and GIS than the observation and acquisition of earth data. Infact one of the strengths of GIS is the diversity of its applications. Mapping out and monitoring the spread of Covid 19 for instance has been one recent showcase of the importance and diversity in the use of GIS. I am a proud graduate of GEGIS and am looking forward to applying this knowledge to impact the society positively.

Miss Tourism Uasin Gishu  County : 2018-2020

High school: Moi Forces Academy-Lanet




Related Links

Kenya Colleges-Universities link


Compiled by Lucy Chepkochei 'Chep-GIS' , April 2021

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations Dolly and your colleagues for a job well done. Engineering is not a walk in the park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Doll, Janet, Yvonne and the entire class of 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Brenda.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Jan Jan
    From Lyron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to my best friend yvonne Kemunto and the amazing engineers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also showcase GIS students ����

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Linet, Uniter, Rose and the entire team

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Eng Linet Gakii. Indeed you are smart. I love your way of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are mighty ladies ... congratulations to u all

    ReplyDelete